Manitoba School For The Deaf
Founded in 1888, the Manitoba School for the Deaf occupied various locations before transferring to this facility in 1922. Originally built in 1921 and designed by John D. Atchison and Company, these buildings served as a residential school for deaf students from the prairie provinces until World War II. The facility became a training center for wireless operators during the war. From 1947-1965, the building housed the Manitoba Normal School, a teacher-training facility. The facility returned to its original purpose, functioning as a residence and school for deaf students from 1965 to 1996. This plaque honours the alumni, parents, members of the deaf community and staff of the Manitoba School for the Deaf who worked, lived, and learned here for 50 years.
Map & Driving Direction
Exact location of Canadian Mennonite University is indicated by Green Arrow on the following map.