History of Our Lady of Lourdes Grotto
To celebrate the 100th Anniversary of the Miracle at Lourdes in 1958, a number of Manitoba priests led by Father Philip Ruh built replicas of the famous French grotto “Our Lady of Lourdes” in the current rural community Cooks Creek, northeast of the City of Winnipeg. By 1962, when the priest died, it still hadn’t been completed. The cave-like structure, made of cement shaped to look like rocks, was ultimately finished and is the province’s largest Lourdes Grotto replica.
Immaculate Conception Church’s Grotto is located in a tiny community Cooks Creek, east of Bird Hill Provincial Park. Other nearby attraction is Cook’s Creek Heritage Museum, located 1.5km north of this church. See map below for driving direction.
Map and Driving Direction
Exact location of the Cooks Creek Grotto is indicated by Green Arrow on the following map (click EXTERNAL LINK below to view map).