History: Chapelle Notre-Dame-du-Bon-Secours
In 1870, Father Noël-Joseph Ritchot (1825-1905) began the construction of the Chapelle Notre-Dame-du-Bon-Secours (Our Lady of Good Help Chapel) dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary. Father Ritchot credited the Virgin with intercession in the 1869-70 dispute between the Metis nation and the Government of Canada. That dispute, settled through negotiation, resulted in the inclusion of Metis land, language, and school rights in The Manitoba Act of 1870, the basis of the Red River Settlement’s entry into Confederation as a province (Manitoba) rather than a territory.
Chapels, shrines, grottoes, and wayside crosses once dotted the Manitoba landscape. This chapel is one of only a few open-air religious structures remaining in the province. The interior finishes, statue, and furnishings are unparalleled in any other similar structure. The original panelled ceiling, now housed in the adjacent St. Norbert Catholic Parish Church, was painted in the mid-1880s by Constantin Tauffenbach, a German born artist.
In 1989, the chapel was declared a Manitoba provincial heritage site.
Map & Driving Direction
Exact location of this francophone chapel is indicated by Green Arrow on the following map (click EXTERNAL LINK below to view map).