Paroisse Catholique Saint-Norbert (St. Norbert Catholic Parish) completed in 1937 has twin towers and houses the body of Father Joseph Noël Ritchot, St. Norbert’s parish priest from 1862-1905. Father Ritchot was a supporter of the Métis people and Louis Riel. Richot was sent by Louis Riel in 1870 to Ottawa to meet with representatives of the Canadian government regarding the transfer of land in the Red River Settlement from the Hudson’s Bay Company to the Dominion of Canada. Following the success of his mission, Father Ritchot built the Chapelle Notre-Dame-du-Bon-Secours (Our Lady of Good Help Chapel) in 1875 and dedicated it to the Virgin Mary for allowing the political crisis to be resolved without bloodshed as well as to commemorate the success of the Métis resistance of the Red River Rebellion 1869-70.
Map & Driving Direction
Exact location of St. Norbert Parish is indicated by Green Arrow on the following map (click EXTERNAL LINK below to view map).