St. Norbert Hheritage Village Museum contains a former butcher shop, a log house, a Red River cart and the La Barrière monument. This monument, which recalls the Red River Rebellion events of 1869-1870, replaced a simple cross of yesteryear bearing Father Ritchot’s inscription “Le doigt de Dieu est ici” (The finger of God is here). Here, Riel’s followers raised a wooden barricade across the Pembina Trail (now Pembina Highway) to keep out unwanted emissaries of the Canadian Government (known as British North America during that period), which intended to include the Red River Colony (or Selkirk Settlement) into the Confederation as a territory rather than a province. The unrest was later resolved through negotiation and led to the creation of Manitoba, detailed in The Manitoba Act of 1870.
Map & Driving Direction
Exact location of St. Norbert Place is indicated by Green Arrow on the following map (click EXTERNAL LINK below to view map). Free parking is available behind the museum.