St. Norbert is the southern gateway into the city of Winnipeg. Located just south of the Perimeter Highway, this community lies at the junction of the Red and La Salle rivers, sometimes referred to as Winnipeg’s “other forks.”
St. Norbert Place is a heritage village museum constructed at the site of the former orphanage named “Aisle Ritchot” (1905-1948), managed by les Soeurs de Misericorde (Sisters of Mercy). Visible from Pembina Highway, this historic site contains a former butcher shop, a log house, a Red River cart and the La Barrière monument. This monument commenorates the Red River Rebellion event of 1869-1870, where Louis Riel ordered the construction of a barricade to the south of St. Norbert to prevent William McDougall, then lieutenant-governor of Rupert’s Land, from entering and taking over the Red River Settlement on behalf of the Canadian government. The land dispute was eventually settled through negotiation with terms described in The Manitoba Act of 1870, which forms the basis of the Red River Settlement’s entry into Confederation as a province (Manitoba) rather than a territory. This Act, which conceded provincial status to Manitoba, also confirmed political rights, existing land ownership, use of the French language, and separate state-supported Catholic and Protestant schools.
Map & Driving Direction
Exact location of St. Norbert Place is indicated by Green Arrow on the following map (click EXTERNAL LINK below to view map). Free parking is available behind the museum.