One of the architectural landmark in St. Norbert is the ruins of Our Lady of the Prairies at Trappist Monastery Provincial Park. In 1892, five monks of the Order of Cistercians of the Strict Observance, referred to as Trappists, arrived in St. Norbert and established a monastery on a secluded piece of parish land along the La Salle River. The Order of Cistercians of the Strict Observance is a Roman Catholic religious order of cloistered contemplative monastics who follow the Rule of St. Benedict. Monks are commonly referred to as Trappists, and nuns as Trappistines.
By 1978, the Trappists had moved to a site near Holland, Manitoba, to protect their contemplative life from the effects of urban sprawl. Fire gutted the vacated church and residential wing five years later. The guesthouse, located behind the monastery, remained untouched. 1n 1991, the guesthouse became the home of the St. Norbert Arts Centre. In 2002, the whole area became Trappist Monastery Provincial Park. The site has been used for special events like Shakespeare in the Ruins, which is celebrating its 20th Anniversary in year 2013!
Map & Driving Direction
In St. Norbert, just south of the Perimeter Highway; turn west from Pembina Highway (PTH 75), just north of the LaSalle River. Read Trappist Monastery Provincial Park for details.