Holy Trinity Church is a historic building in Downtown Winnipeg with intricate stone work and fine architecture design. It’s located next to Millenium Library Park. It can be a great venue for wedding ceremony or engagement photography.
Holy Trinity Anglican Church is one of Canada’s finest examples of a 19th century Gothic Revival (also known as High Victorian Gothic) style, popular from the 1850s until approximately 1900. Based on the revival of medieval architecture, aspects of the style were used in the design all types and sizes of buildings.
The style is discernable by the use of pointed arches as well as the expressive use of buttresses, spires, pinnacles and other carved ornamentation. Roofs are usually steeply pitched and complex and tracery and embellished mouldings often highlight windows. Other aspects of the style that separate it from earlier 19th century Gothic revivals are the solid wall surfaces and its polychromy, achieved through the use of different building materials (brick, stone, painted wood, iron cresting, etc.) for walls and detailing. It was another evolution of the style and produced much heavier, substantial looking designs than those built in the first half of the century.
The original design (by Charles Wheeler) also included a lofty, 56.7-metre bell tower attached to the southwest corner of the building. It was not built at the original time of construction but in 1928, the congregation began to collect funds to have it completed. Because of the Depression, these plans were never realized.
Map & Driving Direction
Exact location of Holy Trinity Church is indicated by Green Arrow on the following map.