The Manitoba Law Courts is situated across Broadway from the Manitoba Legislative Building. The Law Courts actually consists of several buildings. One of them is an old jail Vaughan Street Jailhouse—the oldest and last remaining public building in the city of Winnipeg.
Historic Building of Manitoba
The construction of this monumental court house between 1912 and 1916 marked the peak of a period of dramatic growth for Winnipeg. Its classically-inspired design complemented the nearby Legislative Building and provided an impressive symbol for Manitoba’s court system. The high quality of craftsmanship evident throughout the building reflected the extensive capabilities of the local construction industry at that time. The Law Courts illustrate the importance Canadians have long attached to a strong judicial system, as well as the pride and optimism of the people who conceived and built it.
Map and Driving Direction
Exact location of Winnipeg Law Courts is indicated by Green Arrow, next to Manitoba Legislative Building.